Saturday, March 16, 2013

Haiti-Day 2

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Good news! As I lay on my bed and write this, I am showered and clean. The men here at the compound have worked so, so hard today to get the system back up and running. That consisted of digging very large, very deep holes all over the ground to the main septic pipe. When we got back tonight, we couldn't wait to get clean. The water is cold and not a lot comes out (makes rinsing shampoo and conditioner out of a thick head of hair difficult), but no complaining here. It felt awesome. It was also awesome to use the bathroom in a toilet rather than....well, I'll spare you the details there. :) As long as you pour water from a big bucket into the bowl, it flushes just fine. We are just glad to have the water to do that today. 

When we got to the orphanage this morning, the kids were in school. This teacher got excited to see how they do this. Last time I was here they weren't in school. Under the big tent on the orphanage ground, all of the 100 plus kids were split up into 8 groups. Each group had a chalkboard (of the sort) and a teacher. I told Emily that for their schooling to be so very different from the schooling my students get, I saw a lot of good and similar things going on. Kids were writing on small chalkboards, practicing multiplication facts on the boards, the younger ones were singing, and another group was up and moving around. If only I could understand what they were saying. I wanted to get in there so bad.

As soon as the kids got their break, it was on. Kids all around, just how I like it. We hung out with them for a little while until lunch time. That's when we headed back to the compound...Teacon with us of course...for some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Teacon goes everywhere we go. He's part of our family and it feels so natural having him with us. Falling more and more crazy about that kid by the minute. After lunch and getting a little rest, we grabbed a Gatorade from the gas station down the street and headed out to the land where Hope Rising will be built on. Our friend Fred who is with us until tomorrow had not seen it yet, so we took him there. I get excited about the future of that land. 

After spending a few more hours with the kids playing and singing and taking "photos", it was time for dinner. The ladies here at the compound made us rice and goat. I learned that goat is a little bit more tough and chewier than chicken. We ate, cooled off and went back to take the kids juice and cookies. They love treats. :) They sit on their benches and wait so patiently, even though we know they are literally about to burst with excitement. As we hand them their snacks, we hear "Mersi" (thank you) in the sweetest little voices. Enough to melt your heart, I promise you that. Side note-I had some kids asking me tonight about the beach, using their arms to motion the waves. They still remember that trip. Makes my heart smile knowing that that afternoon made such an impact on their little lives. It did on mine too! I am so glad I was apart of that huge adventure. Unforgettable! 

The sun left us quickly, and there is absolutely no lights on the ground. I hate how they just run around in the dark at night time. It is all they know though. As we told the kids goodnight, reassuring them that we will see them tomorrow, I grabbed up Egloose. He wrapped his arms and legs around me and squeezed so tight. I didn't at all want to put him down. As soon as I did, the tears began to flow. I missed him before I ever even left.  I missed all of them before I even left. Bring on tomorrow. 

When we got back we were exhausted. We took a quick, cold shower. Brushed our teeth with our bottled water spitting off the porch, and crawled into bed. This time, Teacon in bed right between Drew and Emily. He gets to stay the night for the rest of our stay, and we are so thankful for that. Especially his Mama and Papa. :) They put some clean jammies on our boy, and he's watching movies on Drew's computer until he falls asleep. All is great in our world tonight. Thankful for God's blessings in Haiti.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, tears are streaming down my face. I love reading about your trip. God is smiling down upon you as you show Jesus to these precious children.

    ReplyDelete