Sunday, March 17, 2013

Haiti-Final Day 5

Friday, March 15, 2013

We woke up early this morning to go see the kids. The ground was already picked up, so we enjoyed some quiet time with them as they were just waking up and getting ready for school. It was definitely different getting out of the truck and not being swarmed by smiling, sweaty kids. Instead, we walked to the back to meet them. They were standing sleepy eyed and grinning  in their school uniforms...just a shivering. It wasn't cold at all, but all they know is heat. The temperature is cooler in the mornings, and their little bodies were frozen and covered with goose bumps. Some were still dripping wet from the baths they just had, and some weren't even dressed yet running around with bare hineys.  I gathered a group together and began rubbing their arms and hands to generate heat, and then snuggled them close to me. Egloose in my lap. He knew today was voyage day, and stuck extra close. We sat with them as they ate their breakfast. We're not sure what they were eating, but we referred to it as porridge. It looks a lot like yellow grits. No matter the size of the child, they were all given a huge pile of it in either an aluminum bowl, sauce pan, or a frisbee. They lick it clean. If not with their tongues, they use their fingers to get every last bite out. As most kids were finishing up and headed to the tent for school to start, Robinson was taking small little  bites and making it last as long as possible. One of the women who help tend to the kids took his frisbee full of food and spooned half of it onto a bowl for Christopher. Naturally, Robinson began to cry. It broke my heart. It broke my heart one because Robinson didn't get to enjoy all of his breakfast, and two because Christopher came so close to not having any breakfast at all. 

When all of the kids were in place for school, we told them we would be back, and then we headed to the compound with our little guy, Teacon. We ate breakfast and got bags packed up and ready to go. We kept T outside and away from seeing the luggage. As always we had so much fun playing, taking photos, and spending some quality time with just him for the last time this trip. Our friend Roody was away with the car when it was time to go back and see the kids one final time. My stomach being in knots. Mom, Dad, and I walked to the orphanage (about 10 minutes) while Drew, Em, and T waited on Roody and the truck at the compound. While we were away with the kids, Roody translated for Drew and Emily to tell Teacon bye...to reassure him they were coming back for him and that they love him very much. Not a fun conversation. As if I wasn't already so proud of my sister and brother in law, this trip has increased that even more. I got to see the two in action as Mama and Papa, and it was unbelievable. It is so obvious that God created this perfect little Haitian boy to be their son and to be in our family. Like I've said already, it couldn't be more natural. I am so excited for the day he gets to come home. 

They met us at the orphanage around 10:45. We snapped some last minute pictures, and then came the moment I had been dreading since before I ever even got to Haiti. The sick feeling I had in my stomach all morning quickly rose to my throat. I held back the tears as I grabbed as many kids as I could hugging them and repeating, "Naw we pita Naw we pita Naw we pita (see you later)." Egloose had both arms and legs wrapped around me and was squeezing so tight. I was doing good about not crying until he looked at me with big tears rolling down his cheeks. I lost it. I kissed him and hugged him and kissed him again and again, promising him that I would see him again soon. On top of all of this, I knew I still had to tell Teacon bye. When I got to him, the family had already loved on him. I hugged him so tight and told him that I loved him and would see him soon. I think the thing I will miss most about him until I see him again (besides absolutely everything) is hearing him say "I love you." He says it back every single time we tell him. Sometimes I would even say, "I love you more" and Teacon would of course say back, "I love you more." :) I definitely love him more though. I am so blessed to call that boy my nephew. 

We pulled away and drove back to the compound. We did our best to freshen up by changing clothes and wiping the dirt off with wet wipes. We loaded up, grabbed a drink and some gas at the gas station and were off to Port au Prince. The trip was unbelievable as expected. I agree with Dad and his comment of never complaining about Mopac again. :) Before we flew out,  Drew and Emily wanted to see and say hi to their attorney who they are working with on the adoption process. Mom, Dad, and I were able to meet him for the first time, and we had a good (and quick) chat. We were able to see the official, hard documents stating that Teacon is medically cleared for adoption. Now, we just continue to wait on God to make the call...it'll be in His perfect timing. And it will be awesome. Because of traffic (Austin's got nothin on Haiti), it was time to get to the airport. We arrived and got through immigration and security just in time to board our flight, which is where I am now. It was a teary take off, and my heart is aching. I'm sitting here sipping on a Dr Pepper and eating my snack of pretzels and crackers, but wishing I was eating chewy goat meat and spending time with my kids. We have about 45 minutes left until we land in Ft Lauderdale. We'll grab dinner, crash at our hotel, and get ready for an early morning to catch our flight on to Dallas. I have mixed emotions about being home tomorrow. Of course it's always good to be home, but I sure do miss Haiti and everything about it. Thankful to Jesus for allowing me to come this week, and already begging him to send me back soon. Of course I'm also begging God to send Drew and Em back soon so they can bring our buddy home. Keep praying with us. We did have a great trip. Thankful for more memories made with our favorite kiddos. I can't wait to get back to them. Haiti, the place that holds my heart, naw we pita. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment