Saturday, March 16, 2013

Haiti- Day 3

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Today looks a lot like yesterday did. Teacon woke up requesting to finish watching what he fell asleep to last night. He's so sweet and smiley in the mornings. Go figure. :)  We ate breakfast provided by our Haitian friends here at the compound. They had eggs, bananas, bread, and peanut butter waiting on us. It reminded me a lot of home. I eat a lot of that, so I was happy. I remembered that being my favorite breakfast last time I was here.


We timed it so that the kids would be on break from their schooling when we arrived this morning. As I sat with the kids, and as they kept looking up at me and smiling, I couldn't help but think about how cool it is that God calls me out here to love on them. All they want is a hand to hold, a chest to lay their heads on, an arm to lean on, and someone to just say, "I love you!" They are perfectly content doing nothing at all but being close. I pray that they will grow happy and healthy and loved. While we have Teacon with us, I watch how happy he is. How loved he is. How much fun he is having. Every kid deserves that. They are perfect little creations by God. I see it when I look at them. He makes such beautiful things. I  have a hard time putting into words how much I love these kids. I'm so thankful to know them. 


Their teachers came back, so we let them start class again. We gathered all of our women workers at the orphanage together to talk. Our translator, Lukie, translated as Fred thanked them for their hard work, and then mom talked to them from the standpoint of a mother. She explained to the ladies our desire for the kids to be taken care of the way they would tend to their own babies. I'm blessed by my momma. :) As they finished up school for the day and ate their lunches, we came back to the compound to eat, cool off, and rest. It's amazing how much the heat plus so many little kids crawling on you drains your energy level and makes you hungry.  It's all so worth it though. It's also amazing how much our little Teacon buddy  can put in that belly of his. He is one good eater. After lunch we laid down for a little bit, Teacon watched a movie and played, and then we were ready to head back to the orphanage. 


When we got back, the kids gathered around quickly. I snatched up one little guy who wrapped both arms around my neck and laid his head on my chest. He fell asleep fast, so I soon laid him down on one of the wooden benches to nap.  Egloose was on my left and sweet Julieka girl was on my right...their arms interlocked in mine.  There were about 7 or 8 older girls gathered around asking question after question. They just stare, smile, play with my hair, rub my arms and legs, and talk. It's like when you're at the nail salon and you know the workers are talking about you, but you just have no idea what they're saying. I finally got Lukie to translate for me. They told me that I was pretty...not the first time I heard "belle(beautiful)" in their pretty Haitian accents. So sweet. Then they were asking where I was from, how old I was, if I was married, and what that thing was on the back of my bottom teeth. I told Lukie to tell them that thing was called a retainer, and it's there to keep my teeth from moving. :) I've also been asked a few times this trip if I speak Espanol...not sure what that's all about! They just want to know everything they can know about us.


Emily and I got our hair did by the older girls who can braid like non other. We played some music and sang and danced to Justin Bieber and Rhianna. We  enjoyed lots more hugs, giggles, and sweat. It's just fun being in their presence. Time flies at the orphanage, and it was quickly time to go back to the compound to eat, shower, and call it a night. For dinner we had fried chicken, rice, and french fries. It was so very good. Knowing what the room looks like where these ladies cook, it astonishes me how they produce so much good food for us. They serve us well...and all we can say is, "Mersi" (thank you).


After dinner, Teacon got a good bath and some clean clothes put on him.  He's also got on his spidey undies, which he is so proud of. It's dark, but we have pulled chairs out on the porch and are just hanging out...as a family. Teacon's been on Drew's lap with his head lamp on watching bits and pieces of just about every movie on Drew's computer and playing with his machines (toy cars). We wish we knew what he was saying because he is talking and giggling away. Music to our ears. I picture many more nights like this. The family sitting in the back yard, talking, watching, and laughing at just how funny Teacon is. He has so much personality. 


It's now time for my shower and more application of bug repellant. The mosquitos love me here. Tomorrow is our last full day in the country, and so I'm going to pray it goes by slowly. Thankful for more blessings and an overflowing heart tonight. God, You are so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment